Wednesday, July 28, 2010

My oil pan drain plug and oil pan threads were stripped..Can I reuse the oil I had to drain?

Well, now I have to drop the oil pan and replace it with a new one, which is a whole new battle... Hopefully I will not be posting issues with that later on.





Case and matter is that I just changed the oil and discovered the problem with the drain plug and oil pan. The threads on the oil pan were done, and I couldn't tap it anymore, so I had to get a new one. It's coming in soon. But because of that I had to drain the oil I just bought, and I was wondering if there were any risks to re-using that oil. My oil pan drain plug and oil pan threads were stripped..Can I reuse the oil I had to drain?
even though you think the container is clean you can still get dirt in it from under your car when you slide it under or form your hand hitting something when you break the plug loose. oil is cheaper than an engine just get newMy oil pan drain plug and oil pan threads were stripped..Can I reuse the oil I had to drain?
put in new clean oil, period, next invest in a good tap and die kit, or if you say youve tapped it too much then look into a helicoil kit, or a repair a thread, its called they sell them everywhere, its a metal stainless steel insert that has threads on the insides the exact same as your original bolt, so i can work again, its cheaper than a new pan
yes you can reuse the oil no problem. if the oil pan threads ever go again get a nut weld it around the hole and put a bolt in it make sure to use a fiber or copper washer
If the threads in the oil pan are stripped there is a possibility of having metal in the oil. My advice is to toss the oil and replace it,
Put it in a thin tray and run a magnet over it. That should get rid of any metal. Otherwise, you're good.
Try making a decision on what you see and what you know .
Just change the oil. You probably drained it in a dirty bucket. How much is oil $10 that is dirt cheap in comparison to what damage you could do to your engine.

No comments:

Post a Comment