Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I'm Changing the oil in my 2003 Honda VTX 1800C and the oil won't drain from the drain plug..just drips?

The dip stick shows it overfull but I know it's not because I changed the oil last fall. Does anybody know what I should do or what has caused this problem? Thank you.I'm Changing the oil in my 2003 Honda VTX 1800C and the oil won't drain from the drain plug..just drips?
So you have removed the oil drain plug and it only drips out?


You either have too little oil in the bike or you have not removed the proper drain plug all though this seems unlikely.





I have had bikes for 25 years and this has never happened to me as it's a rather basic operation to perform.





I don't see this as a problem but more of a symptom of either very very thick oil, very cold outside temperatures or almost no oil in the bike.


You should be able to drain almost the same amount that you refill it with.I'm Changing the oil in my 2003 Honda VTX 1800C and the oil won't drain from the drain plug..just drips?
Drive the vehicle for 15 minutes or so. Then, let the car sit for another 30 minutes for the oil to change from hot to warm. The oil will be warm and it will flow more easily.





The problem might also be that there is no way for air to enter the system to replace the oil you are trying to remove, even with the dip stick removed. When draining the oil, remove the oil filler cap, usually located on the top most portion of the engine.
Perhaps something is in the way of the oil flow. Put your finger or pencil in the hole and see if that helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment